When you are planning to bring a baby home, you make all the requirements to make him comfortable. Similarly, in case you are making budgie a new member of your family, you need to provide for all his essentials. The first and foremost need for him is his place of living – his cage. A lot of effort goes into finding a suitable cage for your budgie and you can never be sure of that cage is completely free of harmful chemicals. So, the best option to provide a safe little home to your pet is to create one yourself! So how to make Do It Yourself Budgie Bird Cage?
Pre-requisites of Budgie’s cage-making process
There are many factors you need to consider before you start preparing a cage for your little bird. The material of the cage, its size, accessories you plan to put inside the cage is all important considerations.
- Determine the size of the cage depending on the number of budgies you are planning to bring home. The area inside shall allow him to spread his wings freely and take short flights if space allows.
- Collect the cage material according to the size you determined above.
- Get a stainless steel mesh sheet for securing the cage from all sides from predators.
- Keep some nails and hammer handy to join the cage-parts together.
- Get some superglue to stick some parts of the cage.
- Secure a wire-cutter to form an outlet for your budgie.
- Keep a pair of hard gloves to handle the cutting of mesh easily.
Making of Budgie’s cage
- Make a structure to fit the wire-mesh in cuboid form out of your preferred material. You will need nails and hammer to secure the structure in place. Remember that budgies chew away wood, so be ready for a disappearing cage in case you are planning to use it! Stainless steel and aluminum would be your best choice.
- Secure the wire-mesh on all the sides of your budgie’s cage with the help of nails or superglue. Leave the bottom layer for a more secure base.
- Fix an aluminum sheet over the base of this structure and secure it with superglue on all the edges.
- Now, it is time to build a door for your budgie’s comfortable entry and exit into the cage. Also, this opening will help you provide him meals inside, perform cleaning actions, display cage accessories, and so on. It determines your access inside the cage. So, keeping all of this in mind, determine the size and placement of the cage door.
- With the help of wire-cutter, cut out the wire-mesh for making the door hole. Don’t forget to wear gloves while cutting the mesh to avoid injuries.
- After creating an opening for the door, it is important to secure this opening with the cage material to avoid injuries from the open wire-mesh. So, secure it with your cage material with the help of superglue.
- Once your door is safe, it is time to establish a lock on it. Fix two metal loops outside the structure to fasten a lock – one over the door and others on the cage.
Your Budgie’s cage is ready!
Decorating the Budgie cage
You have created a complex cage out of simple pieces of metal. But a structure becomes home only with the warmth of accessories we fill it up with. A blank structure is of no use to your budgie, you need to provide him with a comfortable environment for maintaining his physical and mental health.
Perches are an integral part of any bird’s habitat and to make your little budgie feel at home, the first thing you should add to his cage is the perches. Try to use untreated wooden perches to protect your bird from any chemicals. Get a few extra perches beforehand as budgies are going to chew them up.
Wooden perches aren’t the only options though. There are many other different kinds of perches available to keep your little birdie entertained. A cotton perch in spiral form is one such famous one. A cotton swing-like perch is also a favorite of many.
Adding a wooden ladder in the cage would be another great accessory as it will keep him busy getting up and down the ladder. This kind of physical activity is important to keep your bird healthy and active.
Another great accessory that keeps this little playful bird happy is the Activity-Wall. It is a colorful woven wall that has many little accessories hanging onto it – small mirror, little ringing bells, babbling balls, small stuffed toys et al. It keeps them engaged all day long.
You can also install a little gym activity area for your budgie if the cage is big enough. It will keep him busy flying in and out of those hula hoop ring-like structures. Many budgie parents love the basketball activity area for their budgies. It has a small mesh basket to put the ball in it. This is not only a physical activity but a mental one for them. They use their intellect to score the ball.
Fill your budgie’s cage with as many accessories as you like and renew them when they deteriorate. While adding up items, do not forget that more the number of items you add, the more difficulty you will find in cleaning the cage. Therefore, follow a balanced approach.
Home-made cages are an excellent option for your pet Budgies. Along with saving the cost of buying a ready-made cage, you derive the pleasure of creating a home yourself for your little one. It also allows you to recycle the old metal you have at home. You are, therefore, caring for your planet as well.
Just take care of developing a safe place for your bird where he can sleep peacefully in the night. It should contain enough accessories to keep him entertained for the day. This will keep your budgie happy always!
You can choose your budgie as a pet in every pet shop. We recommend buying budgies from a well-known seller or breeder. When you choose a pet for yourself, you want it to be the most beautiful and...
Budgies, like any other animal, can be lonely. When your budgie is lonely, he hides and tries to be far from everyone else. Budgies are adorable, small, and affectionate birds that are...