It’s not uncommon for some budgies to be less inclined to fly, especially if they have become accustomed to a sedentary lifestyle. Budgies are social birds and enjoy interacting with their human companions, so it’s natural for your budgie to seek attention from you.
Here are a few suggestions to encourage your budgie to fly and be more active:
- Encourage flight: Place perches and toys at different heights around the room to create a stimulating environment for your budgie. This will encourage him to explore and fly around.
- Wing exercises: Gently extend your hand towards your budgie, offering it as a landing perch. You can do this a short distance away from his current perch, gradually increasing the distance over time. This exercise can help build his confidence in flying.
- Provide a spacious environment: Ensure that your budgie has a spacious and safe area outside of his cage where he can fly freely. Remove any potential hazards or obstacles that may hinder his flight.
- Interactive toys: Offer toys that encourage physical activity and mental stimulation, such as swings, ladders, and puzzle toys. These will provide entertainment and motivate your budgie to be more active.
- Healthy diet: Ensure that your budgie is receiving a balanced and nutritious diet. A healthy diet can provide the necessary energy for physical activity.