There are several signs of a healthy budgerigar, and for the most part, they are fairly obvious. As with all animals (humans included) body, language and behavior are key signs if something is troubling us, and budgie are no different.
- Good hygiene – regularly clean the birdcage and the appliances in it. The cleaning must be accomplished a minimum of twice a week.
- We mustn’t let our budgie have contacts with wild or free-living birds, who are the main carriers of diseases and infections.
- Do not put the birdcage exposed to draughts – the birds can catch a cold, and they should be exposed to the sun no more than 1 – 2 hours because they can get overheated and can suffer from hypothermia.
- If you have other pet animals – a dog, a cat, first get sure that they are not aggressive towards the birds and only then you can leave them in the same room together.
- Examine the birdcage for protruding parts and objects that can hurt the birds.
- A very important factor for the good health of the birds is the proper and balanced feeding. Except for grain mixture, they should get enough quantity of fruit and vegetables, from which they will supply themselves with necessary vitamins.
- Also, with great importance for the health of birds is the proper supply with minerals. You can buy them from the zoo in a combined form. budgie
- It is also necessary that your birds get small stones and sand in a separate container, which contributes to good digestion and food – assimilation.
- Overfeeding the birds with proteins of animal origin is very dangerous for them and it can cause podagra and lead to abnormal appetite.
Also, watch this video about Budgie sick symptoms
Disclaimer: these are just some of the signs of a sick bird. Not all birds who display these are sick, and not all birds who are sick display these. Always, always consult your vet! And darn it, read real avian publications for more information and more things to look out for. If your bird is sick or injured please take it to an AVIAN VET. Budgie
BudgieNation's AI ChatGPT: Your Virtual Budgie AI, Always Ready to Help!
Owning a budgie comes with a unique set of responsibilities. From nutrition and healthcare to training and enrichment, there's a lot to learn and understand to provide the best possible care for your...
Like any pet, there are some differences between the expectations and reality of owning budgie birds. It's important to understand the difference between our expectations and the reality of owning...
One thought on “9 Ways to protect our Budgie bird from illnesses [Alen AxP]”